Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Process Poster Reflection


With this process poster, I sought to include my best work and create a color scheme that would compliment my featured work. Because the tessellation pattern is such a prominent part of the poster, I chose to use more neutral colors in conjunction with a grid that organized each element of the poster according to relation and importance. My biggest focus, however, was with writing my reflections for each project that I featured on the poster, because it gave me a great opportunity to consider how I have grown this semester and what I still need to improve upon.

Reviewing my sketches proved to be an interesting task because they haven't improved as drastically this semester as they once did when I took my first drawing class. I did notice, however, that my technique had changed. I believe that my understanding of the fundamentals  in terms of drawing, have made it so that when I approach a drawing now, versus a year ago, I have the chance to take my time and re-evaluate how I want to represent my subject. Prior to this course, I worked more towards just making the drawing resemble, even slightly, whatever it was that I was looking at. From this perspective, I have been able to spend more time on the minutia and critique myself more effectively.

As for the other two projects that I featured on the poster, I had an easier time completing those, not unlike my sketch assignments. As I noted before, coming from a more experienced perspective allowed me to concentrate more of my focus on the small aspects of my work, rather than the overall composition. While the composition was important, I was familiar with what each project entailed and wanted to still learn as much as I could from each project. With the drafting project in particular, I wanted to include as many small architectural details as possible and really emphasize the dimensions of each drawing through line weights, which is something I failed to properly do with previous assignments. My lettering had improved drastically, as well as my understanding of how best to organize dimensions since I first completed a hand drafting assignment, so this project certainly had a much more professional-looking result. Overall, this semester has been an incredible opportunity to improve my skills as a designer and to review my skills.