Thursday, February 21, 2013

Baroque Historical Pattern

The Baroque period is by far one of my most favorite periods in terms of art and architecture. The intricate ornamentation and fearless experiments with pattern are what baroque art is known for, which I sought to emulate in my tesselation pattern. Throughout baroque sculptures and paintings, idyllic portrayals of vegetation are present which helped inspire many popular baroque patterns that still thrive today. One common shape that seems to have evolved from the embowed lines of hanging leaves is the scroll, a curved form that ends in an exaggerated curl. I found this particular shape to be so common and representational of the baroque style that I created each tesselation with my own scroll design along each module's border. Small leaf-like edges were also incorporated to give the impression of a more natural influence. The colors selected also reflect upon my chosen period through the rich reds, greens, and blues found in the borders. So as to not detract from the more colorful elements, I chose to keep the central images more neutral in color, which also helped in lightening up the pattern. If prompted to make changes, I might consider an even lighter color scheme, however the split complementary colors do reflect the baroque period quite accurately.