Monday, October 8, 2012

Concept Development: Palouse Kitchen Design

As a starting point for this concept, I selected the song "Back Home" by Eric Clapton and proceeded to sketch ideas that surrounded the idea of these two great loves discussed in the song. As the lyrics say, the singer is saying how much he misses his home and the comfort he finds there, but is torn between his need to return home and his love for his life on the road. To illustrate these two competing ideals, I constructed a concept model that is composed of a curved central figure flanked by two linear "tracks", which represent the pull and push of conflict. From these developments in my concept, I then went on to start designing small elements that I wanted to incorporate into my spaces such as linear patterns, rectangular shapes that are overlapped, and small areas with curves to mimick the curvature of that central figure. Overall, I am satisfied with my concept, however am considering making small changes so that it is applicable to the various spaces I will design to ensure cohesion.